Weddings in Scotland

There are so many things to organise for Weddings in Scotland, so we’ve put together some articles to help you out. From choosing the perfect Readings for your ceremony, to what wedding stationery you require, first dance song suggestions, and the wedding party roles you can fill.

We also list upcoming wedding shows. If you need help with a particular kind of wedding, we offer help and advice on Asian Weddings in Scotland, Jewish Weddings Ceremonies, Same Sex Weddings, Civil Partnerships in Scotland, and Weddings Abroad.

There are two different types of wedding ceremony you can have in Scotland:

1. A religious or belief ceremony which can take place anywhere by someone approved to conduct a ceremony.

2. A civil ceremony which can take place in a registration office, or anywhere agreed with the registrar, except religious premises.

This is one of the special things about getting married in Scotland, if you can dream of the place, you can get married there!

How to get married

  1. Marriage Notice form
    You complete this with the local registrar. You should do this between three months and one month before your wedding date. You’ll also need to pay a fee, and bring certain documents with you.

  2. Marriage Schedule:
    For religious or belief ceremonies you’ll also need to collect the ‘marriage schedule’, which is a form you sign during your wedding ceremony, but if you’re having a civil ceremony the registrar will bring your marriage schedule to your wedding and return it to the registrar’s office for you.

  3. Declaration of Immigration Status
    If you’re not from the UK, you also need to complete and return a declaration of status by Non-UK Nationals form.

Getting married in Scotland if you live outside of the UK

If you live outside of the UK you need to get a certificate from your country to say there’s no reason why you cannot be married. This needs to be given along with your marriage notice to the registrar at least 29 days before the wedding.

You do not need to get a certificate if you’re a UK citizen living abroad.

If you’re not sure what you need to do, you can contact National Records of Scotland