Planning Weddings Abroad Yourself
- Visit the location before your wedding day. It will help you to get to know your location better and meet up with any local suppliers
- Find someone who speaks the local language to help you out if possible
- Consult the foreign embassy or consulate of the country you are getting married in to discuss the legal requirements of getting married in their country.
- Make lists of everything – things you need to do, contact details and numbers, deadlines etc. You need to become super organised!
- If you get married abroad, your marriage will most likely be legally recognised in the UK but legal requirements vary between countries
- Contact the foreign embassy or consulate of the country you are considering getting married in to obtain first hand information about their legal requirements
- Hiring a wedding planner in the country you plan to get married in can take a lot of the stresses away
Wedding Abroad Insurance
- Although not a legal requirement, I strongly recommend Wedding Insurance for marriages abroad
- Wedding Abroad Insurance offers more than Wedding Insurance Policies so make sure you choose wisely
- There are different levels of cover so choose the most appropriate one for your wedding
- Purchase insurance sooner rather than later so you are covered all through the planning stages
Investigate Accommodation Options for Guests
- Always make sure you find accommodation that caters for all budgets.
- Ask hotels if they will offer a special rate for your guests.
- Let guests know what date they must book by to secure a room
- Find out if hotels will allow you to put any welcome letters or gifts in your guests’ rooms.
- Make an information pack for guests letting them know of recommended hotels and any special rates
- Take note of when all guests arrive, where they are staying and when they arrive and depart
Don't Forget Your…
- Passport, tickets and currency
- Documentation required to obtain marriage license e.g. birth certificates
- Travel and Wedding Insurance Details
- All Wedding clothes and accessories
- The rings!
- Favours, ceremony program, guest book etc
- Place name cards, Table number cards
- Camera, Video camera, Disposable cameras