Destination weddings have always been popular and offer a very different experience from getting married in Scotland. Here are our top tips on what you need to think about if you are considering getting married abroad.
Planning Weddings Abroad Yourself
- Visit the location before your wedding day. It will help you to get to know your location better and meet up with any local suppliers
- Find someone who speaks the local language to help you out if possible
- Consult the foreign embassy or consulate of the country you are getting married in to discuss the legal requirements of getting married in their country.
- Make lists of everything – things you need to do, contact details and numbers, deadlines etc. You need to become super organised!
- If you get married abroad, your marriage will most likely be legally recognised in the UK but legal requirements vary between countries
- Contact the foreign embassy or consulate of the country you are considering getting married in to obtain first hand information about their legal requirements
- Hiring a wedding planner in the country you plan to get married in can take a lot of the stresses away
Wedding Abroad Insurance
- Although not a legal requirement, I strongly recommend Wedding Insurance for marriages abroad
- Wedding Abroad Insurance offers more than Wedding Insurance Policies so make sure you choose wisely
- There are different levels of cover so choose the most appropriate one for your wedding
- Purchase insurance sooner rather than later so you are covered all through the planning stages
Investigate Accommodation Options for Guests
- Always make sure you find accommodation that caters for all budgets.
- Ask hotels if they will offer a special rate for your guests.
- Let guests know what date they must book by to secure a room
- Find out if hotels will allow you to put any welcome letters or gifts in your guests’ rooms.
- Make an information pack for guests letting them know of recommended hotels and any special rates
- Take note of when all guests arrive, where they are staying and when they arrive and depart
Don't Forget Your…
- Passport, tickets and currency
- Documentation required to obtain marriage license e.g. birth certificates
- Travel and Wedding Insurance Details
- All Wedding clothes and accessories
- The rings!
- Favours, ceremony program, guest book etc
- Place name cards, Table number cards
- Camera, Video camera, Disposable cameras